background

Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Perfect Tree of Green

Dear Reader,

I fear it is nearing time to take the beautiful decorations off and extinguish the lights. Our beautiful Christmas tree of green has served our home as a beacon of joy these last few weeks. Our tradition with the tree begins on the 1st Saturday of December each year when we tromp out into the Colorado National Forest and pluck the first tree that speaks to us. This year the trees were silent for an entire 2 1/2 hours. Dominic would say, "Mom, what about this one?" and I would promptly remind him that we were looking for a tree WITH branches. Lord, have mercy!

Finding the perfect tree is somewhat of an art. In the forest, trees tend to grow in clumps. There will be 2 or 3 trees that grow close together so as to support one another. This is great and looks incredible in its natural environment, but not so good for a Christmas tree. The perfect tree has a profile: always stands in the midst of other trees, yet somewhat set apart so its branches grow full on all sides. Trees like this are rare and special.

Tonight as I sit in front of our perfect tree, I ponder what kind of tree am I? Do I need others to grow closely around me so I feel fuller or can I stand majestically on my own? What kind of tree are you, dear Reader?

Jesus was the perfect tree, relying on no one for appearance sake. He was Truth. His branches were strong and broad and covered a multitude of people's needs. He yearned for time, rested when he could and continued to stretch out his branches unyieldingly. He is life.

I think I want new life, but what I mean more often is I want a different life. When I want a different life, I look for those who have the life I think I want and then I watch them. The thing that I realized over the last couple of days is that I have not really committed myself to any life. I am a tree that has placed myself around other trees for comfort and protection. Yet I know not how to fulfill the purpose for which I was created.

This Christmas has been the most peace-filled celebration of joy I have ever experienced. The season and cheer has brought me to a point where I realize it is time for a transplant. The thing is, a tree cannot transplant itself. It must rely on another, full of experience and wisdom, to choose for it a spot where it might grow strong and full. Tonight I have prayed that the Lord would begin a season of transplant in my heart; that He would beckon me alone with Him where I would submit my positioning for His purpose. What about you, Reader? Is it time to look around at where you find yourself in this world? Are you so close to others that you have begun to grow into one another? Can you get alone with the Lord? Maybe it is time for a season of transplant in your heart also.